Cari Teran, M.S., M.F.T.
Voice Mail: (562) 277-0461
New clients, please call
Works in: Los Alamitos
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist -California Board of Behavioral Sciences, December
M.S., Marriage, Family, Child Counseling - California State University Dominguez Hills, June 1007
B.A., Psychology - University of California Santa Cruz, June 1995
HIGHLIGHTS OF QUALIFICATIONS:
Deeply committed to my clients well being.
Effective in developing programs and reaching project goals.
Sensitivity and knowledge of cultural/ethnic issues in counseling.
Effective in balancing professionalism and sincere empathy.
Demonstrated effectiveness in issues of domestic violence and suicide prevention/crisis intervention.
* Provided individual and group counseling services to men and women residing in transitional homeless shelter
* Facilitated intensive, in-home individual, conjoint and family therapy to children and their families referred
for service by Probation Department. Department of Children and Family Services, Department of Mental Health, and
local school districts.
* Responded to requests from law enforcement and medical personnel to provide battered women and children with
immediate, in person crisis intervention, safety plans, advocacy, and referrals
* Conducted individual and group counseling with women and children with a wide range of ethnic backgrounds at a
domestic violence shelter, utilizing a variety of theoretical modalities: play therapy, client centered, gestalt,
cognitive/behavioral, psychodynamic, solution-focused, family systems
* Provided crisis intervention, and domestic violence phone counseling for suicide prevention service and a
domestic violence shelter to clients of all ages, genders, and issues
Supervision and Administration:
* Facilitated weekly clinical individual group supervision to M.S.W.s and M.F.T. interns for outpatient program
* Recruited, trained, and supervised staff of eight and 20 volunteers for domestic, violence emergency response
* Developed a quality assurance process to effectively document clinical services and adhere to Los Angeles County
Department of Mental Health contract requirements
* Responsible for statistical reporting to funders as well as program grant management
* Researched and developed grant proposals for domestic violence agency
* Organized an information network and referral system for domestic violence resources in West Los Angeles and
Santa Monica to provide the highest quality referrals
Program Coordination and Management:
* Coordinated outreach efforts to community groups, law enforcement, and medical personnel
* Designed and implemented program of emergency response for victims of domestic violence referred by LAPD Pacific
Area. UCLA Medical Center and westside medical facilities
* Devised and implemented an annual program budget for a domestic violence emergency response team
* Designed a case management program highlighting safety planning for battered women and children
* Coordinated teen outreach program to contact middle and high schools in Santa Cruz County concerning issues of
suicide prevention and active listening
* Designed daily programs for shelter children and families including group, individual and extracurricular
Interviewing and Assessment:
* Conducted assessments, brief therapy, referrals and follow-up for battered women and children
* Completed thorough clinical assessments for children and their families
* Developed diagnostic profiles and treatment plans to address my clients' therapeutic needs
* Interviewed and screened potential staff and volunteers for domestic violence agency
Teaching and Education:
* Developed and led training workshops for staff and volunteers working with battered women and children
* Designed and implemented arts and crafts projects for children at day camp and for abused children in shelter
* Taught daily lesson plans including mathematics, reading, writing, and conflict resolution, for Long Beach
Unified School District, grades K-12
* Initiated in-service meetings to empower employees to successfully identify and effectively resolve conflicts
with supervisors and coworkers, teaching assertiveness and ethical communication skills
* Provided ongoing education for Los Angeles Police Department officers on the dynamics of domestic violence
* Clinical Supervision for ASW/MSW (15 hours)
* Suicide Prevention/Crisis intervention
* Domestic Violence Management of Assaultive Behavior CPI - Nonviolent Crisis Intervention
* California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
* End Abuse Long Beach
New clients, please call
office number. Do not call therapist.
Administrative information needs to be gathered before
Page last updated: 1/8/13